Follow Up - Is Time Warner Slowing Down My Internet Connection? Doesn't Look Good

So I did a little more digging into what seemed like a possible slow down of my broadband speeds.

Here's what I determined:

When I first started downloading files, I downloaded 4 files simultaneously.  Each file was pulled in at a rate of about 300 kbs.  That's a total of about 1.2 mbs on a system that is normally capable of pulling in 3 - 10 mbs.

As the files finished the download rate picked up a bit from 300 kbs to 311 kbs after the first file, then to 350 kbs for the second file, then 400 kbs for the third file.  As the fourth and largest file (2.5 gb) reached the 80% done stage it also jumped from 400 to 500 and then to 700 kbs.

So those slight jumps in speed seemed to indicate the server on the sending side gaining resources to send more faster.

But a jump of 20 or even 400 kbs didn't account for the drop off of speed of 2 - 9 mbs!

As things were downloading I performed the following speed tests in the order presented:

time-warner-download-speed-slow-down

time-warner-download-speed-slow-down-2

time-warner-download-speed-slow-down3

Then after all the files were done, I did one more test and my speeds were back up in the 5.5 mbs range.

time-warner-download-speed-slow-down4   

My conclusion is that when there is some type of load placed on my broadband line, there must be something that starts slowing things down, rationing out the supply.  This is not a scientific conclusion, but more of a gut feel, which I hope to get more information on when and where I can.  I'm hoping to test the methodology with other sending servers in the future as well to get more perspective on just how fast Time Warner Cable might be 'when I need it' as opposed to how fast it is on a test.

I do not want a broadband service that tests well and performs poorly.  I want a service that performs well.

I run a small business and if I am to capitalize each small business opportunity that comes up, then I need reliable tools, partners and services.

0 Responses:

TOP 10 TECH

Top 10 Tech Web Tips

Apps and Games