sVideo Streaming Your Kids Soccer Game to the Grandparents

Today, I’m sitting at a soccer field waiting for my son’s soccer game to begin.  I brought my laptop to catch up on a few things during their warm up before the game begins.  While I was sitting here I had an idea that I’m going to try out next week.

I’m going to try and stream my son and 2 daughters soccer games to my parents (my kids grandparents).  My parents live about 800 miles away in Illinois and can’t make it here for the games.  They do have a good internet connection and I have more gadgets and connectivity than is really good for a person.

So here is what I’m going to do.  I’m going to bring my Panasonic video camera, set it up on a tripod near my car.  I’m going to power my laptop and camera off of a DC inverter taking power from the car battery.

Then I am going to connect my computer via my Verizon Wireless Air card.  I’m probably going to use either Ustream or Mogulus to then broadcast the game live to my parents.  They’ll be able to watch the game like a TV show on their computer.  If I use Mogulus, I’ll even be able to save the recording for a download at some point in the future.

I’m going to have to work on the logistics plan just a little bit, but all in all this should solve several problems.

  • My parents will get to see the games
  • They won’t have to wait for me to create a DVD and fedex it to them (which almost always takes too long, gets delayed and doesn’t happen)
  • My parents will feel more immediately engaged and can then talk to my kids soon after the game about how it just went.
  • I’m sure there are some other benefits as well, such as my other family members can watch also if they want.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 Responses:

Unknown said...

hey! that's a great idea. hope it works. :)

TOP 10 TECH

Top 10 Tech Web Tips